Need expert advice?
Feel like you need detailed guidance for further study options?
While choosing a country for studies abroad, several questions strike your mind at the same time. The most important question is what are the post-education opportunities available for you in that country? Whether you are allowed to do a job there or not? The answers to these questions will definitely influence your decision of selecting a country.
In Canada, if you have completed your graduation from the Designated Learning Institute and are willing to stay temporarily in Canada for gaining experience then you are eligible to apply for a Post-graduation work permit (PGWP). PGWP allows international students to gain Canadian work experience as Canada wants to attract and preserve skilled workers. The experience gained through PGWP helps overseas students to certify for Permanent Residence (PR). This acts as a bait to retain international students. Remember that you can receive this PGWP once in your lifetime. This permit allows international students to work in Canada for a maximum of 3 years.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR PGWP
First of all, you should know whether you are eligible to apply for this permit or not. IN 2019, the Canadian Government extended the time of applying for PGWP from 3 months to 6 months. So, You have a time period of 6 months after you get the final marks of your graduation to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). Your study permit should be valid during these 6 months.
You are eligible for PGWP if :
1. You have completed your graduation from Designated Learning Institute.
2. You have a certificate or degree or diploma from that institute.
3. Your course was at least 8 months long.
4. Your study permit has not expired yet.
5. You have a valid visitor record in Canada.
You are not eligible for PGWP if :
1. You study English or French as a second language.
2. You have completed your studies at Non-Canadian Institute located in Canada.
3. You already got PGWP.
4. Your expenses of higher education were fully funded by Global Affairs Canada.
5. You have taken unauthorized leave from your studies.
6. Distance learning was the mode of more than 50% of your study program.
7. You received equal opportunity scholarship, Canada-Chile
8. You were a participant of the American States Fellowship Program.
9. You were a participant of the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC.
10. You were a participant in the Canada-China scholars’ exchange program.
11. You took general interest or self-development courses.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR PGWP APPLICATION
Only two documents are needed while applying for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.
1. An Offer letter from your college or institute which can certify that you have completed your study program from that college.
2. An official transcript from your Designated Learning Institute.
The application fee of Post-Graduate Work Permit is approximately CAD 255.
HOW LONG IS PGWP VALID?
Case 1. If the time period of your course lies between 8 months to 2 years, then PGWP will be valid for the same time as your course.
Case 2. If the time period of your course is more than 2 years, the PGWP will be valid for a maximum of 3 years. Reference-- https://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/study-in-canada/visa-guides/post-study-visa-options-in-canada/